The Country Life - Special Interview
I would like to introduce Jocelyn, age 17, and Rachel, age 14 -- two homesteading girls whom I am featuring in this special interview. So get ready as we briefly take a peek into these special young ladies' lives.
KOF: How long have you been living in the country?
Jocelyn: We've been living in the country for almost 9years now. Previously we were living in a very small two-bedroom apartment with four kids, and right before my sister, Hannah, was born we moved into a 92year-old three-bedroom farmhouse. I was thrilled! We had lots of places to run around and we
ren't crammed into a little apartment anymore. We had two-a-half wonderful acres to roam on. Not to mention the intriguing barn, outhouse, and leanto. Across the road there are train-tracks, which we were all very fascinated by when we got here. The four of us would all run down the front of the yard and make the train honk their horn. They usually did, which always made us smile.
Rachel: Well, for about 9 years now. I have always wanted to live on a farm, gather eggs from our chickens, have a milk cow to make cheese, and ride horses around our pasture. My dream is to have a farm when I grow up.
KOF: How many animals do you have?
Jocelyn: I have seven Nubian goats... five does: Chloe, Heidi, Keci (Ketch-ie), Bella, and Emane.
Then there are the two bucks: Cowboy, and Ellis. We also have 60-some chickens running around the proptery all day. Not all the hens have names but there are a few: Anglewings (completely white), Henny-Penny, Golde, and Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle.The roosters' names are: Mr. Bennett, Paint, Khaza-dum, Dr. Spock, and Dr. Spock 2. We also have two dogs: Pemberely and Blonde.
Rachel: ...Blondie stays in and is my pet and I have a Himalayan rabbit named Daisy. We recently sold our two horses. I miss them.
^^ Keci the Goat
KOF: What are some of the daily chores you do?
Jocelyn: We do barn-chores in the morning and at night. Barn chores consist of feeding the chickens, goats, and dogs. Collecting eggs. Filling waterers and locking up the chickens at night.We also have housework.... some main ones are doing dishes (we handwash them all), laundry, cleaning up rooms and bedrooms.
Rachel: Well, I gather eggs, feed the goats and chickens and the dogs. Plus I must take care of my rabbit, and take Blondie out to play. Sometimes I have to clean out the chicken stall. That is not a pleasant job. Then we have the lawn to mow, and the house to clean. I make dinner and lunch a lot. I am kept pretty busy around here.
KOF: What are some interesting or difficult experiences you've had on your homestead?
The Chickens >>
Jocelyn: Hmmm... I don't know. Everything is always interesting! I really like living in the country. One of our difficulities living out here is we don't have fencing, which means we can't let the goats out. We do have a barnyard but they've eaten all the grass. I'd really like to be able to let them out to roam and graze. Last year we had an awful time hooking them on leashes to graze. Not doing that this year!
Rachel: The time that the horses broke out of the fence and ran across our garden and into the corn fields, then headed for the road. Having a couple of chickens get hit on the road. Finding our first eggs! I was excited about that. I love taking the goats out to the big field and watching them while they graze. The first year we did our garden and got lots of food from it was pretty neat. :)
KOF: Do you enjoy living in the country?
Jocelyn: Yes, very much so. I like the fact that you have your own space. You don't have to worry about neighbors, especially since we homeschool. You are able to learn by everyday moments and tasks
Rachel: You bet. I wouldn't trade any city home for this house. I love it. Our house is about 100 years old. Our barn is probably older than that. I would not trade my beautiful old home for the newest, best house in the world!
KOF: What are some benefits about living in the country?
(pictured below) Rachel
Rachel: You can grow a garden. You can live outside a city, but not too close to it. We live about 3 1/2 miles from town. You can have animals. You can live the way you want, and not have bunch of people telling you how live.
Jocelyn: There are so many. I think living in the country just gives you a sense of peace and quietness. It gives you a sense of simplicity that people living in the city might not be able to experience. There are no noises from factories, businesses, or cars. There is only the noise of the kids
playing in the backyard or the crickets at night. Living in the country is also less toxic. The air isn't so polluted.
KOF: What are some downsides about living in the country?
Jocelyn: Well, here in Indiana we have horrible mosquitoes. I think because we do live in the country where there is tall grass, rives, and woods the mosquitoes are worse that in the city. However, I wouldn't trade the mosquitoes to live in the city because they spray pesiscides and a lot of people living there want to have the "ideal" lawn and spray too.
Rachel: If you live by fields where they plant corn or beans, you get the pesticides they spray. Not a good thing.
KOF: What one thing about country living would you change if you could?

Jocelyn: Haha, I'd have a super-center right around the corner so we didn't have to drive into town if we needed something. Oh and maybe a Wendy's.
Jocelyn >>
Rachel: I think the only thing would be that there were tons of flowers everywhere. And that the grass would grow to the length you want it and not have mow it. Oh wait. If you have goats or horses, that happens! :)
KOF: How has your current lifestyle affected your relationship with God, family, and friends?
Jocelyn: Hmmm... yes, I suppose they have. Like I said we've been able to be more "free" out in the country than we would have been living in the city. In regards to living, homeschooling, and being around people who aren't of the Bibilical-mindset. Not having those negative influences around us has been very healthy for our spiritual growth.
Rachel: It has drawn me closer to Him. It has taught me to appreciate what He has given me. I hope to grow more and learn more about Him through living on a homestead. Mom once said that gardening was the closest thing to God. I must agree. One must grow something and know that God created a tiny seed to make it grow to understand that.
KOF: What is one of your favorite scriptures that you'd like to share?
The Barn >>
Rachel: Well. Now that's a hard one.
I have so many! Here are a few:
John 3:16, The Book Of Revelation, The Book of Psalm
Galations, Ephisians, the Timothys. Did you expect me to name them all?! :D
Jocelyn: My favourite Scripture is probably Isaiah 64: 4, which says "Since the beginning of time, no one has heard, no one has perceived, no eye has seen a God like you who acts on behalf of those who wait on Him." This really speak volumes to me. Our God is so great and since the beginning of time, whether you believe it or not, no one has seen, perceived, or heard a God like our God. He is AWESOME.
~~~~~
Read more about Jocelyn & Rachel by visiting their blogs:
Jocelyn:

Rachel:
You can also read about their experiences on their homestead at their other blogs:
Jocelyn's - Amusing Reflections of a Country Girl
Rachel's - Rachel's Reasonings
KOF: How long have you been living in the country?
Jocelyn: We've been living in the country for almost 9years now. Previously we were living in a very small two-bedroom apartment with four kids, and right before my sister, Hannah, was born we moved into a 92year-old three-bedroom farmhouse. I was thrilled! We had lots of places to run around and we
ren't crammed into a little apartment anymore. We had two-a-half wonderful acres to roam on. Not to mention the intriguing barn, outhouse, and leanto. Across the road there are train-tracks, which we were all very fascinated by when we got here. The four of us would all run down the front of the yard and make the train honk their horn. They usually did, which always made us smile.Rachel: Well, for about 9 years now. I have always wanted to live on a farm, gather eggs from our chickens, have a milk cow to make cheese, and ride horses around our pasture. My dream is to have a farm when I grow up.
KOF: How many animals do you have?
Jocelyn: I have seven Nubian goats... five does: Chloe, Heidi, Keci (Ketch-ie), Bella, and Emane.
Then there are the two bucks: Cowboy, and Ellis. We also have 60-some chickens running around the proptery all day. Not all the hens have names but there are a few: Anglewings (completely white), Henny-Penny, Golde, and Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle.The roosters' names are: Mr. Bennett, Paint, Khaza-dum, Dr. Spock, and Dr. Spock 2. We also have two dogs: Pemberely and Blonde.Rachel: ...Blondie stays in and is my pet and I have a Himalayan rabbit named Daisy. We recently sold our two horses. I miss them.
^^ Keci the Goat
KOF: What are some of the daily chores you do?
Jocelyn: We do barn-chores in the morning and at night. Barn chores consist of feeding the chickens, goats, and dogs. Collecting eggs. Filling waterers and locking up the chickens at night.We also have housework.... some main ones are doing dishes (we handwash them all), laundry, cleaning up rooms and bedrooms.
Rachel: Well, I gather eggs, feed the goats and chickens and the dogs. Plus I must take care of my rabbit, and take Blondie out to play. Sometimes I have to clean out the chicken stall. That is not a pleasant job. Then we have the lawn to mow, and the house to clean. I make dinner and lunch a lot. I am kept pretty busy around here.
KOF: What are some interesting or difficult experiences you've had on your homestead?The Chickens >>
Jocelyn: Hmmm... I don't know. Everything is always interesting! I really like living in the country. One of our difficulities living out here is we don't have fencing, which means we can't let the goats out. We do have a barnyard but they've eaten all the grass. I'd really like to be able to let them out to roam and graze. Last year we had an awful time hooking them on leashes to graze. Not doing that this year!
Rachel: The time that the horses broke out of the fence and ran across our garden and into the corn fields, then headed for the road. Having a couple of chickens get hit on the road. Finding our first eggs! I was excited about that. I love taking the goats out to the big field and watching them while they graze. The first year we did our garden and got lots of food from it was pretty neat. :)
KOF: Do you enjoy living in the country?
Jocelyn: Yes, very much so. I like the fact that you have your own space. You don't have to worry about neighbors, especially since we homeschool. You are able to learn by everyday moments and tasks
Rachel: You bet. I wouldn't trade any city home for this house. I love it. Our house is about 100 years old. Our barn is probably older than that. I would not trade my beautiful old home for the newest, best house in the world!
You are able to learn by everyday moments and tasks.
KOF: What are some benefits about living in the country?
(pictured below) Rachel
Rachel: You can grow a garden. You can live outside a city, but not too close to it. We live about 3 1/2 miles from town. You can have animals. You can live the way you want, and not have bunch of people telling you how live.Jocelyn: There are so many. I think living in the country just gives you a sense of peace and quietness. It gives you a sense of simplicity that people living in the city might not be able to experience. There are no noises from factories, businesses, or cars. There is only the noise of the kids
playing in the backyard or the crickets at night. Living in the country is also less toxic. The air isn't so polluted.
KOF: What are some downsides about living in the country?
Jocelyn: Well, here in Indiana we have horrible mosquitoes. I think because we do live in the country where there is tall grass, rives, and woods the mosquitoes are worse that in the city. However, I wouldn't trade the mosquitoes to live in the city because they spray pesiscides and a lot of people living there want to have the "ideal" lawn and spray too.
Rachel: If you live by fields where they plant corn or beans, you get the pesticides they spray. Not a good thing.
KOF: What one thing about country living would you change if you could?

Jocelyn: Haha, I'd have a super-center right around the corner so we didn't have to drive into town if we needed something. Oh and maybe a Wendy's.
Jocelyn >>
Rachel: I think the only thing would be that there were tons of flowers everywhere. And that the grass would grow to the length you want it and not have mow it. Oh wait. If you have goats or horses, that happens! :)
KOF: How has your current lifestyle affected your relationship with God, family, and friends?
Jocelyn: Hmmm... yes, I suppose they have. Like I said we've been able to be more "free" out in the country than we would have been living in the city. In regards to living, homeschooling, and being around people who aren't of the Bibilical-mindset. Not having those negative influences around us has been very healthy for our spiritual growth.
Rachel: It has drawn me closer to Him. It has taught me to appreciate what He has given me. I hope to grow more and learn more about Him through living on a homestead. Mom once said that gardening was the closest thing to God. I must agree. One must grow something and know that God created a tiny seed to make it grow to understand that.
KOF: What is one of your favorite scriptures that you'd like to share?
The Barn >>
Rachel: Well. Now that's a hard one.
I have so many! Here are a few:
John 3:16, The Book Of Revelation, The Book of Psalm
Galations, Ephisians, the Timothys. Did you expect me to name them all?! :D
Jocelyn: My favourite Scripture is probably Isaiah 64: 4, which says "Since the beginning of time, no one has heard, no one has perceived, no eye has seen a God like you who acts on behalf of those who wait on Him." This really speak volumes to me. Our God is so great and since the beginning of time, whether you believe it or not, no one has seen, perceived, or heard a God like our God. He is AWESOME.
~~~~~
Read more about Jocelyn & Rachel by visiting their blogs:
Jocelyn:

Rachel:
You can also read about their experiences on their homestead at their other blogs:
Jocelyn's - Amusing Reflections of a Country Girl
Rachel's - Rachel's Reasonings




3 comments:
You did a nice job with placing the photos in there! I loved the way you did the title banner!
Thanks for having us in this issue! It was very fun. :) Great job on this issue!
Oh brother! That was from *ME*. Rachel was on my pc and didn't log out!
I was wondering why it said that I had left a comment when I don't remembering leaving one. I have meant to tho. :)
You did a very good job doing this issue. Need anymore entries for the next one? Are you going to do a Christmas one? If you need any help 'filling in the gaps', let me know and I can help out!
Hope to hear from you soon!
Love,
Rachel
Ps. Did you get my last letter?
Post a Comment